Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Decisions, decisions...



I'm guessing I used up all my reading mojo on the five books that I tore through in the last two weeks. I was browsing the shelves today and nothing grabbed my attention.

It's not unusual. That was quite a bit of reading for me at one time.

It didn't used to be. Reading was everything to me. I had numerous books cracked open at the same time.

Now I have guilty feelings if I'm reading and not writing.
Guilty feelings if I'm reading and not spending time with my husband.
Guilty feelings if I'm reading and not helping my five year old become a better reader.

Guilt, guilt, guilt.

But, I did enjoy those books and I won't feel guilty about reading them. (You buying that?)

As for decisions, I do believe that I have come to one. Fascinating, I know. I do think that I will have to/want to rewrite the beginning of Setting the Record Straight.

Since I have had so many rejections for the story and that is the only thing they are asking for, the first 3-5 pages, it must be time to rework them to make them more interesting.

Now, I just have to figure out how to do that. I'll let you know when I do.

This Thursday will be a good day. It will be my one year anniversary of writing this blog. Although I didn't come up with a contest or blogfest I still hope you guys come by to celebrate with me.

9 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your blogging anniversary! My first year was last month. That's a long time. Now I'm wondering how to keep this going for another year or two or three!

    And then there's revisions, and writing. But I don't think you should feel guilty reading. I'm focusing on enjoying whatever it is that I'm doing, whether it's reading or writing, or just life stuff in general. Yes, family is important; most important, I think. And a five year old does need attention. But you still must carve out somehow some time for yourself!
    Ann Best, Memoir Author

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Another word for writing is rewriting" I have no clue who said that...
    Killing your darling is the one thing we as writers dread the most. You read my blog you know I have butchered my WIPS several times over and i admit each time the story/stories sound better, the hardest part is getting started with the butchering. You just have to tell yourself that it will be much better once your done. Although I have read your excerpts I don't remember the beginning of it, but I would be more than happy to help if you need a second, third or fourth opinion. You are a talented writer. You and I just have to get our heads straight...

    As for the reading, don't feel guilty it's part of the writer in us, nothing we do will keep away from books.

    Good Luck!

    BTW thanks for stopping by.

    Jessica.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why don't you post your first few pages HERE and ask for some feedback from the writing community at large? I'll definitely take a look, offer an honest opinion and whatever suggestions come to mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get a few new readers? Ask if someone wants to swap the first chapter? Also, reading is part of writing. NEVER feel bad about reading, you'll be a better writer for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been on a reading binge lately and I feel not one iota of guilt, but my mom who loved to read as a child, felt guilty as an adult whenever she read anything "light." I think reading is as important as writing, it's a writer's "research"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ann - Thank you and congrats on your first year blogging.
    I shouldn't feel guilty about a lot of things but that is just the way that I'm built. I do try to enjoy everything around me though and have a little me time. Thanks for stopping in to see me today.

    Jessica - Thanks, I know you did like my stuff and I appreciate that. It will be very painful to change those beginning pages. They have been with me for so long. But, like I said, I know the story as a whole is good. If I can't capture the attention in those first few pages then I have to change them. Thanks for your support and wise words! Glad you are back.

    Jessica Lei - I did have a couple hundred pages up but I recently took them down. Please stick around so when I rewrite them you can have a crack at it!

    Jolene - Thank you. I have no lack of supporters for reading. I like that! Thanks for coming.

    KarenG - I agree its important but it doesn't make the guilt dissipate. I just have to live with it and hope the books are worth it!
    Thank you for stopping in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. of course. i'll bring some champagne =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great anniversary! Yes, it deserves recognition, this is hard work! About your guilt, I have found that writing up a daily schedule helps, though sometimes I stray from it. Teehee...

    Best wishes!♥.•*¨Elizabeth¨*•.♥

    Can Alex save Winter from the darkness that hunts her?
    YA Paranormal Romance Darkspell coming fall of 2011!
    www.authorelizabethmueller.com
    facebook
    Twitter
    Goodreads

    ReplyDelete
  9. The fact that you've made it a year blogging says a lot, especially for your writing. Not many people can talk for that long and keep people interested; so who knows what those rejection letters are talking about? My old journalism teacher once told me to captivate an audience in the first paragraph. Try it :)
    Ava

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message after the beep.