Thursday, September 30, 2010

Don't mind me, I'm just thinking.

I was wondering the other day what I would sound like as a writer if I wrote in first person.

I currently do not. I write in third person. I have two characters and I switch back and forth in their heads. Sometimes there are secondary characters that I hear from, but not often.

I think when I used to write stories in high school I did write them in first person. I can't prove it cause I don't have them any longer. I threw them all out a gazillion years ago.

But most of the time my female character was me so it would make sense if I wrote it that way. 

It was always me chasing after some guy (just like real life).

But of course the guys in the stories were completely unobtainable and I just happened upon them and they fell madly in love with me.


Convenient.


I don't know why, when I started my first book, that I immediately gravitated to the third person. I guess it didn't really occur to me to say 'I' at all.


I wouldn't change the current story that I am working on but maybe the next thing I could try would be in first person. 


I suppose this blog is actually me writing in first person, but it's really about me and all my bullshit so that doesn't count.


I wonder what kind of woman I would write about. Strong, broken, witty, sarcastic. Maybe she would be the woman I always wanted to be. It would certainly be interesting.


I still haven't heard a word from HQN. It's so hard to wait for a reply. I have never claimed to be a patient person.

It's 2010 and I'm waiting months for a yes or no response from one of the largest publishers on the planet.

I wonder if they ever work in 'real time' or if they are always this far behind.

I really want to send my book to Carina Press and say 'damn the consequences' but I know I should play by the rules or it will bite me in the ass later. 

So, I wait.

2 comments:

  1. I'm just now, after years of reading, able to read books written in first person past tense. They bug big time. But even worse is first person present tense. I tried reading the first book in the Hunger series and didn't make it through the first page. I write to escape myself. I can't even imagine trying to write fiction in first person anything. And that's just me thinking, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. L.A. - I will have to think on it some. It would prevent having to be in two character heads at the same time. I will have to pay more attention when I am reading now!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message after the beep.